WHEN TO RECEIVE YOUR NEXT COURSE
Rituxan® (rituximab) is typically given every 6 months, or based on your doctor's evaluation of your symptoms (but no sooner than every 4 months). Based on how you're feeling and your other medical conditions, you and your doctor can determine if and when you should start another course of treatment. So if you feel your symptoms starting to return, be open and honest about it with your doctor. It'll help you make a more informed decision, together.
STICKING TO YOUR RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS (RA) TREATMENT PLAN
Whatever you and your doctor decide about how often you should be treated, it's important to follow that schedule.
A study showed that, of the people who saw improvement from their first course of Rituxan (plus methotrexate) and then went on to receive a second course, 54% saw an additional 6 months of improvement (as opposed to 45% of people who received methotrexate alone).
What are the possible side effects of Rituxan?
Rituxan can cause serious side effects, including:
- Tumor Lysis Syndrome (TLS): TLS is caused by the fast breakdown of cancer cells. TLS can cause you to have kidney failure and the need for dialysis treatment or an abnormal heart rhythm
- Serious Infections: Serious infections can happen during and after treatment with Rituxan and can lead to death. Rituxan can increase your risk of getting infections and can lower the ability of your immune system to fight infections. People with serious infections should not receive Rituxan
- Heart Problems: Rituxan may cause chest pain, irregular heartbeats, and heart attack. Your healthcare provider may monitor your heart during and after treatment with Rituxan if you have symptoms of heart problems or have a history of heart problems
- Kidney Problems: especially if you are receiving Rituxan for non–Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL). Rituxan can cause severe kidney problems that lead to death. Your healthcare provider should do blood tests to check how well your kidneys are working.
- Stomach and Serious Bowel Problems That Can Sometimes Lead to Death: Tell your healthcare provider right away if you have any stomach-area pain during treatment with Rituxan
Please see the Important Side Effect Information page and the Rituxan Prescribing Information and Medication Guide for additional Important Side Effect Information, including Most Serious Side Effects.